YOUR IRRIGATION SYSTEM
Peak lawn watering season is right around the corner. Ensuring your irrigation system is properly working and following the recommended watering schedule will not only save water, but will save you money. It is important to visually inspect your irrigation system routinely to make sure you are getting the most efficient use. The following are a few helpful tips to get your irrigation system in top shape for the summer months:
- CHECK THE CONTROLLER – make sure the date, time, and system settings are correct. Replace the battery backup annually.
- CHECK FOR OBSTRUCTIONS– remove any dirt, debris, grass, or plants that are obstructing a sprinkler head.
- CHECK SPRINKLER ALIGNMENT AND SPRAY DIRECTION – make sure sprinklers are flush with the soil surface and not tilted. Adjust nozzles that are spraying the sidewalk/street.
- CHECK FOR WEAR AND TEAR – replace worn or broken nozzles, valves, and pipes. Inspect valves closely to ensure proper function.
- CHECK FOR SURGE – open valves slowly when restoring water to avoid damage from pressure surge.
- CHECK WATER PRESSURE – ideal systems operate between
40-60 psi (pressure per square inch). Misting water indicates high pressure and the need for a pressure regulator.
- IRRIGATION AUDIT – have a licensed irrigator perform an irrigation audit on your system to maximize your water and money savings.
- FOLLOW THE WATER CONSERVATION ORDINANCE – watering is prohibited between the hours of 10:00 am and 7:00 pm year-round.
There are currently no drought restrictions in place, however, watering is prohibited year round during the hours of 10:00 am and 7:00 pm. Currently residents can water on any day during the week, but the City of Buda recommends keeping a 2 day per week watering schedule.